Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pancake Day!

I had an English boyfriend for about three years. In those three years, we had a few of our traditions that we had blended together, and kind of made out own. One tradition that I still want to carry on with myself that came completely from his culture is Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Day. When the Americans are partying it up for Mardi Gras, and other countries are also partying it up with Carnival, the Brits are partying it up with pancakes! Yes, very tame in comparison but delicious nonetheless.

My first Pancake Day was when my ex and I were in a long distance relationship. I had gone to visit him during one of my school vacations and his family was talking about being excited for Pancake Day. I knew not of this holiday, but I'm all for holidays especially when they involve yummy food, so I was excited for pancakes. Well, the day came and Lee and I were going to travel into London to do some sight seeing and everyone was about to head out the door to work and school. I asked Lee when we were going to have the pancakes. He laughed and felt badly because apparently in England they don't eat pancakes for breakfast. Shortly after I overheard his little brother (8 at the time) ask his mom for pancakes and Lee's mom responded "You know we don't have pancakes for breakfast!" I felt his pain. I really did. Lee then explained to me that English pancakes are different from the American type. In England theirs are more like crepes and they roll them up and sprinkle them with lemon and sugar. I'll admit, I didn't like them at first and found them to be bland. I now love them.

Lee and I started a tradition of having American style pancakes for breakfast (he's half-American and was born in the States) and English style for dinner. It just works out that in America we usually eat ours for breakfast and in England they usually eat theirs for dinner. We got the best of both worlds.

I carried on that tradition myself today since we are no longer together. I had American style chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast (although now I feel like I should have made my apple streusel ones!) and English ones for dinner.

Party hearty my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment